Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Skinny on Lasers and Toenail Fungus



People have been fascinated with lasers going all the way back to the iconic image of James Bond being nearly split in two in the movie Goldfinger. Goldfinger was the first blockbuster movie ever. No doubt this brought the idea of lasers as being cutting edge into the American psyche. Lasers have been used in medicine for everything from zapping off warts to whitening teeth and now for treatment of those ugly thick fungal toenails. Another unforgetable scene on the Hollywood silver screen highlightd the social stigma attached to feet that aren't pretty. Eddy Murphy from the movie Boomerang pulls back the covers of his bed to reveal that his sleep over guest has jacked up feet. Lasers are part of a program that can help with the thick fungal nails and are an alternative to oral medication. The should not be thought of as effective as the oral but there are no potential side effects unlike oral aGENTS. Sports like running skiing and soccer increase your risk of getting toenail fungus because you sweat inside a closed shoe or boot and you are subjecting your toenails to repetitive microtrauma. The treatment should be only part of a regiment for a pesky problem.
The laser helps eliminate the fungal spores that lie within and underneath the nail. Just as in fading with laser teeth whitening the nail fungus can come back. It should be used as an adjunct treatment either with an oral or topical treatment. It is also important disinfect the areas the fungal spores reside, so the nail does not get reinfected. There are now ultraviolet lights to do this. Lysol is not a great idea because you are subjecting your skin to strong chemicals but there are other more safe disinfection sprays for shoes available. Health insurance does not cover the cost of this treatment. The treatments are administered once a month over three months and do not require anesthesia. You don't have to hiode your feet. You can flash them like your teeth with or without the teeth whitening!

8 comments:

Irene_J said...

This is really an embarrassing condition. The most common at-home toe fungus treatments usually involve giving each foot a thorough wipe down, or possibly even a brief bath, using a diluted, germ-killing compound that will slowly kill off the fungal infection.

Calgary Orthotics

James Douglas said...

Ha ha. That photo! I have had some fungal nails lately, and I have been thinking on laser treatment.


eagleeye dental said...

Eagle Eye Dental Clinic dedicated to treating our patients with care and compassion in a friendly environment.We give every patient individualized attention and take our time to provide meticulous and quality dental care.

Discount Dentist





























john said...

The topical nail fungus treatments you see in the drugstore and on the internet simply don't work. They cover this up by saying that they take 6 months to work and at that point usually 80% of the treated say the product didn't work and for the other 20% the fungus may have cleared on its own for any number of reasons.NailClenZ Reviews

john said...

Toenail fungus is known to develop most in warm and humid areas and the use of closed-toe shoes can be a good environment for them to grow. Once you may notice that you are starting to develop toenail fungus, it may have infected your shoes already.Nail RENEW Reviews

john said...

Toenail fungus is known to develop most in warm and humid areas and the use of closed-toe shoes can be a good environment for them to grow. Once you may notice that you are starting to develop toenail fungus, it may have infected your shoes already.Nailner Repair Brush

john said...

Three years ago, I noticed my left middle fingernail began turning white instead of its normal healthy pink. I did not know what was going on, but after a few weeks, the entire nail became white and flaky.
Naloc Reviews

john said...

Many people wonder if whatever treatment they use is going to kill the fungus or just slow it down. Killing fungus is called fungicidal. Slowing it down is fungistatic. While many medications as well as lasers can kill fungus in a laboratory setting, essentially all therapy fails to kill all fungus in infected nails.Natralia Anti-Fungal Liquid Reviews